Friday, August 29, 2014

If it rains.....

I am always excited for a three day weekend.  Especially, because it means I will be traveling home.  In case you don't know I work in Indiana and stay there through the week but come the weekend....I head for home to Michigan.  It's a 4 hour drive.  I manage to catch up on my pleasure reading (listening) on the trip with audio books.  I love that I can multi-task. It makes the drive much more pleasurable. 

I'm bringing some quilting with me though.  I've kind of found a new mission.  I started making neo-natal quilts for a hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana and I find I just love it.  It's a great way to use up odd fat quarters and scraps and I really enjoy making these cute little quilts out of existing  leftover or forgotten fabrics I've had laying around in my sewing room.  It's a challenge to come up with cute combinations of fabric and create something that will be useful.


Two more neo-natal quilts ready to finish binding and ship out.
 

I've started sorting through my stash and WOW do I have lots to work with.  The added bonus in all this, that only means something to me, other than the fact that it's a feel good project and it helps someone in need...is....I am slowly cleaning my fabrics out, dividing them into themes and actually putting them to use. 
I am a very fortunate person in many ways.  I have a loving and supportive family, wonderful friends, a great job, a successful quilt shoppe (thanks to a very understanding husband) and the freedom to do what I love.  Now I have the urge to help others with what I love to do.  It may not be a lot, but the sense of accomplishment really feels good. 

Have you ever asked yourself the question, 'Is there anything I love to do that would help others?'


So, if on this extended weekend it rains and you find you're looking for something to do..... give a thought to something that may help others.  A feel good project.  I promise you'll enjoy it!

Have a wonderful creative and safe holiday weekend.

Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. How fulfilling that must feel. Can you post the requirements fir these, I have misplaced my notes.

    ReplyDelete